MSc Cyber Security 網絡安全 理學碩士
Accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT
Take this online Cyber Security MSc and become part of the next generation of leading IT security professionals, get equipped to respond rapidly to risks and problems.
The subject is a regular hot topic in the news today on a global scale and online protection has never been more relevant.
About the University
Founded in 1965, the University of Essex is a public university accredited by British Royal Charter, with 3 campuses in Essex, UK.
With more than 13,000 students from 130 countries, Essex graduates develop a genuine world view.
- Experienced – University of Essex high quality online courses are delivered through the “University of Essex Online” since 2007.
- High quality – Rated “Gold” in the Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) 2018
- Top UK University quality and support
- Courses are available to both UK and international students, which enable you to benefit from a flexible approach to study, while maintaining the quality and support you would expect from a top UK University.
- The structured online programmes allow you to study for your degree in a unique virtual learning environment and still have access to all the support and facilities you would expect to receive on campus.
- Study at your own place. Graduate on-campus at UK.
- No travelling. You can study at your own pace from anywhere; at work, at home or on the move. Everything is done online.
- You will be invited to attend a Graduation Ceremony at the University of Essex campus in Colchester after fulfilled award requirements.
List of Online Programmes on Offer
To find out more about the University and online courses on offer, please click here.
Accreditation, Recognition, Ranking
- University of Essex is a recognized British University.
- 中國教育部 – 認證資料
Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China – Accreditation Information
(請按此 Please click here)
- Ranked Top 22 in UK (Times Good University Guide 2018).
- Ranked 2nd Most International University in the UK and 18th in the World (Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2017).
- Ranked 8th for overall satisfaction among all UK universities (NSS2015).
Source: www.timeshighereducation.com/features/national-student-survey-2015-overall satisfaction-results-full
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU): Member
- 90% for overall student satisfaction in the 2018 National Student Survey
- Notable Alumni: Dr Oscar Arias Sanchez (Nobel Peace Prize, President of Costa Rica), Sir Christopher Pissarides (Nobel Economist Prize)
About the Award
Awarding Body: University of Essex, UK
- Graduates will be issued with the same University of Essex degree award certificate.
- There is no mention of online study on the University of Essex degree certificate.
You will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex campus in Colchester after fulfilled award requirements.
About the Programme
This degree has been accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT.
An accredited degree entitles you to professional membership of BCS, which is an important part of the criteria for achieving Chartered IT Professional (CITP) status through the Institute.
In today’s always connected environment, it is important for organisations to implement robust cyber defences capable of mitigating an increasing range of cyber attacks.
The MSc Cyber Security, delivered 100% online and part-time, will introduce you to the key concepts, tools, guidelines and approaches used to protect an organisation’s online environment. The course goes beyond technical competencies to consider managerial and psychological concerns, while simultaneously developing essential skills such as teamwork, risk assessment and decision making.
This conversion course starts with an overview of the fundamental aspects of cyber security, highlighting the trends and developments in this field. In later modules, you will explore topics such as:
- fundamentals of network security and information security governance principles
- an inter-disciplinary perspective involving psychology that considers the human factor in cyber security challenges
- traditional and contemporary Software Development Life Cycle models and how they are affected by risk management considerations
Towards the end of your studies, you will consider a topic of interest within the Cyber Security Body of Knowledge and produce an individual project on that topic. If anything captures your interest during the course that you to want to study in more detail, this is your opportunity to spend a third of the course focusing on it.
- This cross-disciplinary course considers not just the technical skills, but also commercial and legal factors within cyber security.
- There’s no need to download lots of different software packages – all programming languages are included within the tuition fee and all work is carried out in our online development environment.
- No need to take a career break – complete this course 100% online and part-time.
The MSc Cyber Security is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits.
- Launching into Cyber Security (20 credits)
- Research Methods and Professional Practice (20 credits)
- MSc Cyber Security Project (60 credits)
- Network Security (10 credits)
- Security and Risk Management (20 credits)
- Secure Software Development (10 credits)
- The Human Factor (10 credits)
- Secure Systems Architecture (10 credits)
- Principles of Digital Forensics and Cyber Law (20 credits)
Programme Study Duration:
About 2 years of part time workload study, depending on your own study pace, study options chosen and module availability.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
The courses are delivered through a virtual learning environment (VLE) instead of a traditional campus. This means you will have access to your study materials 24/7, including:
- multimedia lecturecasts made up of written content, short videos, animation, audio recordings, infographics, short tests and mini-assignments
- discussion forums for you to chat about the course content with fellow students
- live seminar sessions with your tutors
- a comprehensive eLibrary of textbooks and academic journals
- support from academic staff and your dedicated Student Support team
To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, the class sizes is capped at around 20 students.
In order to meet the technical requirements for this course, students will need access to a computer with at least 8GB RAM.
The MSc Cyber Security has an indicative study duration of 2 years, which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
The academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
All of the courses have regular start dates throughout the year.
On successful completion of your degree, you will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex, Colchester Campus.
The varied assessment methods allow you to demonstrate your understanding of the course content in a wide range of ways. This can be by engaging in discussion forums throughout your modules, completing programming exercises, participating in team projects, completing reflective journal entries and an e-portfolio, by submitting longer written pieces or by undertaking timed open-book tests at home, without the need to travel to an assessment centre.
The University is committed to providing frequent and transparent feedback through the following ways:
- The assessment criteria are designed to be simple and transparent.
- You will always be aware of your current provisional grade, right from the start of the programme.
- You will be able to view your marks clearly in your gradebook whenever you log onto the learning platform.
- There is a 7-day turnaround for marking and feedback of assessed work.
- You will have regular contact with your Student Support team, with whom you can discuss any concerns as soon as they arise.
Academic requirement :
- An undergraduate degree from an approved institution equivalent to a UK Honours degree or a relevant professional qualification.
- Candidates without the above but have at least three years’ relevant work experience, will also be considered on individual basis.
English language proficiency requirement:
- IELTS 6.5, or equivalent, or
- pass the University online admission English test
- As part of the application process, you will be asked to take a short aptitude test which is designed to test your ability to handle the intellectual and practical demands of the course.
- Additionally, you will need to pass your first assignment set within your two-week induction period of the course in order to continue your studies.
Credit Transfer / Exemption
Credit for prior learning and credit for current competencies will be granted to eligible applicants.
Credit will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may be offered for equivalent level studies.
Programme information is correct at time of publish. The University reserves the right to make variations to the programme schedules, contents, information and fees without notice.
It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.
For detailed information on the course and application procedures, please contact us
by phone at 3482 8241 / 3482 8251; or
by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or
click here to submit your enquiries online.
All contents and information, including but not limited to forms and navigation links, are proprietary to Success Institute of Higher Education and Professional Training Limited (Success Institute) and are subjected to copyright protection. Republication, redistribution or unauthorized use of any content or information contained in this website is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Success Institute.