BA (Hons) Business and Management
Achieve for an accredited top-ranked UK University degree.
Study at home online.
About the University
Founded in 1965, the University of Essex is a public university accredited by British Royal Charter, with 3 campuses in Essex, UK.
With more than 13,000 students from 130 countries, Essex graduates develop a genuine world view.
- Experienced – University of Essex high quality online courses are delivered through the “University of Essex Online” since 2007.
- High quality – Rated “Gold” in the Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF). 教學品質評選中獲得金獎，證明大學的教學品質在英國各高等學府中屬於最高級別。
- Top UK University quality and support
- Courses are available to both UK and international students, which enable you to benefit from a flexible approach to study, while maintaining the quality and support you would expect from a top UK University.
- The structured online programmes allow you to study for your degree in a unique virtual learning environment and still have access to all the support and facilities you would expect to receive on campus.
- Study at your own place. Graduate on-campus at UK.
- No travelling. You can study at your own pace from anywhere; at work, at home or on the move. Everything is done online.
- You will be invited to attend a Graduation Ceremony at the University of Essex campus in Colchester after fulfilled award requirements.
List of Online Programmes on Offer
To find out more about the University and online courses on offer, please click here.
Accreditation, Recognition, Ranking
- University of Essex is a recognized British University.
- Ranked Top 29 out of 131 Universities in UK (Times Good University Guide 2019).
- Ranked 2nd Most International University in the UK and 18th in the World (Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2017).
- Ranked 8th for overall satisfaction among all UK universities (NSS2015).
Source: www.timeshighereducation.com/features/national-student-survey-2015-overall satisfaction-results-full
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU): Member
- 90% for overall student satisfaction in the 2018 National Student Survey
- Notable Alumni: Dr Oscar Arias Sanchez (Nobel Peace Prize, President of Costa Rica), Sir Christopher Pissarides (Nobel Economist Prize)
|More Professional Rankings|
|Criminology||7th||Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018|
|Economics (research excellence)||Top 5||Research Excellence Framework 2014|
|History of Art||5th||Complete University Guide 2018|
|Marketing||Top 25||Complete University Guide 2018|
|Politics and International Studies (research excellence)||1st||Research Excellence Framework 2014|
|Sociology (research excellence)||Top 20||Research Excellence Framework 2014|
About the Award
Awarding Body: University of Essex, UK
- Graduates will be issued with the same University of Essex degree award certificate.
- There is no mention of online study on the University of Essex degree certificate.
You will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex campus in Colchester after fulfilled award requirements.
(Subject to coronavirus (COVID-19) restrictions permitting travel and attendance.)
About the Program
The BA (Hons) Business and Management programme will help you adapt to the ever-changing world of business. The programme will examine a range of real-world business examples and use them to develop the broad skillset that a good manager should be able to draw from.
This 100% online and part-time degree programme allows students to achieve for a specialised degree from a top UK university. It is suitable for anyone wishing to pursue a career in business and management in particular.
At level 4 you will begin by building a foundation in key topics, which you will expand on throughout later modules. Areas of study include:
- leadership and teams within different organisations
- management of projects and working with stakeholders
- legal challenges that are faced by businesses
- international marketing strategy and opportunities
- human resources within organisations in the 21st century
- facilitating effective financial decision making
In your final year of this business management degree, you will have the opportunity to leverage all your new skills in an independent and in-depth investigation on the topic of your choice, culminating in the creation of a business research project. You will also critique and provide feedback on others’ reports, developing the critical evaluation and communication skills that you will need in collaborative meetings throughout your career.
In the interactive discussion forums and live Q&As you will collaborate with professionals around the world, learning not just from us but also from each other. You’ll develop new ways to approach business problems and will be able to apply the skills you learn from the very first day.
The Bachelors degree in Business and Management is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 360 credits.
Level 4 modules:
- Fundamentals of Effective Learning (15 credits)*
- Business and Management Skills (15 credits)*
- Fundamentals of Marketing (15 credits)*
- Human Resource Management (15 credits)*
- Introduction to Finance (15 credits)*
- Business Environment (15 credits)*
- Core Skills and Employability (30 credits)*
Level 5 modules:
- Business Planning (15 credits)*
- Marketing and Sales Management (15 credits)*
- Operations Management (15 credits)*
- Leadership and Managing Teams (15 credits)*
- Financial Decision Making (15 credits)*
- Project Management (15 credits)*
- Business Investigation (30 credits)*
Level 6 modules:
- Global Business Environment (15 credits)
- Business Strategy (15 credits)*
- Strategic Human Resource Management (15 credits)
- Business Law (15 credits)
- International Marketing Strategy (15 credits)
- Business Finance (15 credits)
- Advanced Business Project (30 credits)*
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award
Indicative study duration: About 48 months
- All of the online courses have an indicative study duration which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete.
- The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability.
- It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study duration do apply.
- All of the courses have regular start dates throughout the year. The academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
- Study duration of 15-credit module is 9 weeks.
- Study duration of 30-credit module is 18 weeks.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
All of the online courses have an indicative study duration which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability. It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
All of the courses have regular start dates throughout the year. The academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
Teaching methods and style
The university utilise a virtual learning environment instead of a traditional campus to deliver the courses. The system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials.
This learning platform allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and you can listen to, and view, live lectures and seminars over the internet. All courses are delivered in English only.
You are supported throughout your course by a dedicated Student Adviser and have the opportunity to regularly interact with fellow students and your tutor. To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, the University cap class sizes at 20 students.
- Student Advisers: All students have a personal Student Adviser who is their first contact point, mentor; provide support and guidance.
- Experienced Module Tutors: The online tutors have vast experience of delivering both traditional campus and online.
- They will be in regular contact with students throughout the course, via online virtual learning platform which.
- Question and answer sessions: They will lead the class by delivering seminars, posting lessons and assignments, answering questions.
- Feedback on coursework: The virtual learning environment will also be used to mark assignments and provide feedback on coursework.
- Responding to your questions by phone or email: There is also the opportunity to have regular contact with tutor by telephone and e-mail as you progress through your course and to interact with other students on the programme through online forums.
- Additional Resources: You will have access to a number of resources to complement your studies via virtual learning platform, such as online libraries, which will enable you to access on-line journals, databases and e-books.
An assignment-based assessment approach is adopted, instead of exams.
All of your work is uploaded via the online learning platform where your tutor has direct access to assess it.
You are always aware of your current provisional grade right from the start of the programme, allowing you to evaluate the success of your current study methods and clearly identify areas to improve.
The University believe that this transparency gives you the information you need to make the most of your course. We achieve this by:
- showing your marks clearly in your gradebook, which can be viewed whenever you log onto the learning platform
- the rapid turnaround of work assessed to ensure that your gradebook is always up to date
- assessing your work throughout the module rather than waiting for end of year exams
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Adviser
- the simplicity and transparency in the design of our assessment criteria
Academic requirement :
- Two A-levels or equivalent qualification, for example:
- Australia – AQF Level 4 qualifications, e.g.,
- Cert IV in Business
- Cert IV in Business Administration
- Cert IV in Community Services
- Cert IV in Customer Engagement
- Cert IV in Human Resources
- Cert IV in Leadership and Management,
- Cert IV in Marketing and Communication,
- Cert IV in Project Management Practice,
- Cert IV in Retail Management,
- Cert IV in Security Management
- Cert IV in Work Health and Safety
- British / UK – RQF Level 3 qualifications
- Hong Kong – HKQF Level 3 qualification
- Recognized professional qualifications
English language proficiency requirement:
- IELTS 6.0, or equivalent, or
- pass the University online admission English test
Credit Transfer / Exemption
Credit for prior learning and credit for current competencies will be granted to eligible applicants.
Credit will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may be offered for equivalent level studies.
Programme information is correct at time of publish. The University reserves the right to make variations to the programme schedules, contents, information and fees without notice.
It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.
For detailed information on the course and application procedures, please contact us
by phone at 3482 8241 / 3482 8251; or
by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or
click here to submit your enquiries online.
All contents and information, including but not limited to forms and navigation links, are proprietary to Success Institute of Higher Education and Professional Training Limited (Success Institute) and are subjected to copyright protection. Republication, redistribution or unauthorized use of any content or information contained in this website is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Success Institute.