Master of Public Health (MPH)
This programme will provide you with a thorough understanding of Public Health and provide an ideal foundation to develop as an effective public health professional.
New: A 1-year RSPH student membership is now provided to all Public Health students after completion of their first module.
About the University
Founded in 1965, the University of Essex is a public university accredited by British Royal Charter, with 3 campuses in Essex, UK.
With more than 13,000 students from 130 countries, Essex graduates develop a genuine world view.
- Experienced – University of Essex high quality online courses are delivered through the “University of Essex Online” since 2007.
- High quality – Rated “Gold” in the Government’s Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) 2018
- Top UK University quality and support
- Courses are available to both UK and international students, which enable you to benefit from a flexible approach to study, while maintaining the quality and support you would expect from a top UK University.
- The structured online programmes allow you to study for your degree in a unique virtual learning environment and still have access to all the support and facilities you would expect to receive on campus.
- Study at your own place. Graduate on-campus at UK.
- No travelling. You can study at your own pace from anywhere; at work, at home or on the move. Everything is done online.
- You will be invited to attend a Graduation Ceremony at the University of Essex campus in Colchester after fulfilled award requirements.
List of Online Programmes on Offer
To find out more about the University and online courses on offer, please click here.
Accreditation, Recognition, Ranking
- University of Essex is a recognized British University.
- 中國教育部 – 認證資料
Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China – Accreditation Information
(請按此 Please click here)
- Ranked Top 29 out of 131 Universities in UK (Times Good University Guide 2019).
- Ranked 2nd Most International University in the UK and 18th in the World (Times Higher Education World University Ranking 2017).
- Ranked 8th for overall satisfaction among all UK universities (NSS2015).
Source: www.timeshighereducation.com/features/national-student-survey-2015-overall satisfaction-results-full
- Association of Commonwealth Universities (ACU): Member
- 90% for overall student satisfaction in the 2018 National Student Survey
- Notable Alumni: Dr Oscar Arias Sanchez (Nobel Peace Prize, President of Costa Rica), Sir Christopher Pissarides (Nobel Economist Prize)
About the Award
Awarding Body: University of Essex, UK
- Graduates will be issued with the same University of Essex degree award certificate.
- There is no mention of online study on the University of Essex degree certificate.
You will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Essex campus in Colchester after fulfilled award requirements.
About the Program
The Master of Public Health (MPH) programme online has been designed for busy health professionals looking to gain a recognised qualification from a top UK university while continuing to work at the same time.
This course will provide students with a systematic and critical understanding of the key concepts underlying public health. Through its alignment with the Public Health Skills and Knowledge Framework this course will develop your ability to undertake independent research culminating in a dissertation project as a capstone to your studies.
The MPH course is the most comprehensive of our Public Health programmes, incorporating the opportunity to complete an independent piece of original research.
Building on the Postgraduate Diploma module base, you will also study research design and critical appraisal and complete a dissertation project of your choosing. The course culminates in the completion of a dissertation research project where you will have the opportunity to put what you have learned into practice and demonstrate your ability to undertake independent research.
Royal Society For Public Health (RSPH) Membership
University of Essex Online (UoEO) recognises the value of engaging with external professional bodies to support the personal development of our students. As such, all Master of Public Health students will be provided with a 1 year student membership with the RSPH following the completion of their first module. As a leading voice in public health, RSPH provides opportunities for students to maintain up-to-date knowledge, access exclusive resources, explore potential careers and occupations, network with like-minded people, and be recognised as a committed public health professional. Upon completion of their postgraduate programme with UoEO, students will be eligible to apply for Fellowship of RSPH: if applying before their Student Member status expires, they can upgrade without being charged the upgrade fee.
The Master of Public Health (MPH) programme is made up of the following modules and, upon completion, is equal to a total of 180 credits at Level 7.
- Health Promotion (20 Credits)
- Topics in Public Health (20 Credits)
- Health Needs Assessment and Priority Setting (20 Credits)
- Epidemiology (20 Credits)*
- Advanced Practice in Healthcare (20 Credits)*
- Research Methods (20 Credits)*
- Dissertation (60 Credits)*
* These modules are core and must be passed in order to achieve the award.
About 24 months, depending on your own study pace, study options chosen and module availability.
Studying online gives you the freedom to study when and where it suits you – at home, during your lunch hour or anywhere else you have internet access.
All of the online courses have an indicative study duration which is a guide to how long your course will take to complete. The actual duration may be longer or shorter depending on your speed of study, study options chosen and module availability. It’s possible to complete your studies faster than the indicative course duration by doubling up on modules at certain times; however, minimum study durations do apply.
All of the courses have regular start dates throughout the year. The academic year is organised into modules, typically with a one- or two-week break between modules and a structured three-week break for the Christmas period. Students will receive a course timetable during the application process.
Teaching methods and style
The university utilise a virtual learning environment instead of a traditional campus to deliver the courses. The system tracks and manages the learning process in real-time and provides you with immediate access to your learning materials.
This learning platform allows both students and tutors to actively take part in real-time conversations and you can listen to, and view, live lectures and seminars over the internet. All courses are delivered in English only.
You are supported throughout your course by a dedicated Student Adviser and have the opportunity to regularly interact with fellow students and your tutor. To ensure you receive the support you need from your tutor, the University cap class sizes at 20 students.
- Student Advisers: All students have a personal Student Adviser who is their first contact point, mentor; provide support and guidance.
- Experienced Module Tutors: The online tutors have vast experience of delivering both traditional campus and online.
- They will be in regular contact with students throughout the course, via online virtual learning platform which.
- Question and answer sessions: They will lead the class by delivering seminars, posting lessons and assignments, answering questions.
- Feedback on coursework: The virtual learning environment will also be used to mark assignments and provide feedback on coursework.
- Responding to your questions by phone or email: There is also the opportunity to have regular contact with tutor by telephone and e-mail as you progress through your course and to interact with other students on the programme through online forums.
- Additional Resources: You will have access to a number of resources to complement your studies via virtual learning platform, such as online libraries, which will enable you to access on-line journals, databases and e-books.
The MPH course includes both compulsory and optional modules, so you can tailor the content of your course to more closely fit your interests and aspirations.
We adopt an assignment-based approach to assessment instead of exams. Assessment for the MPH will be based on a combination of written assignments, engagement in online discussion forums and the completion of a dissertation based on an individual research project.
You will be able to see your current provisional marks from the start of the programme, allowing you to evaluate the success of your current study methods and clearly identify areas to improve. We believe that this transparency gives you the information you need to make the most of your Masters course.
We achieve this by:
- showing your marks clearly in your gradebook, which can be viewed whenever you log onto the learning platform;
- the rapid turnaround of work assessed to ensure that your gradebook is always up to date;
- assessing your work throughout the module rather than waiting for end of year exams;
- ensuring you have regular contact with your Student Adviser; and
- the simplicity and transparency in the design of our assessment criteria.
Academic requirement :
- An undergraduate degree from an approved institution equivalent to a UK Honours degree or a relevant professional qualification.
- At least 5 years’ relevant senior level work experience, if you do not meet the above minimum academic standards.
English language proficiency requirement:
- IELTS 6.5, or equivalent, or
- pass the University online admission English test
Credit Transfer / Exemption
Credit for prior learning and credit for current competencies will be granted to eligible applicants.
Credit will be considered on a case-by-case basis and may be offered for equivalent level studies.
Programme information is correct at time of publish. The University reserves the right to make variations to the programme schedules, contents, information and fees without notice.
It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.
MBA vs. MSc in Business
An MBA and MSc are both ‘Masters’ level qualifications which are granted to students who have demonstrated a high-level of knowledge in their field of study, but despite the name, don’t necessarily involve administration or science. Although both awards are postgraduate courses, there are differences between them in terms of eligibility, focus and personal development. If you are interested in studying a postgraduate business qualification, understanding these differences will help you chose the most suitable degree.
Master of Business Administration (MBA)
The MBA is an executive-level business course designed for students with executive or management level experience. MBA degrees are designed to develop leadership skills and offer professionals the opportunity to formally recognise their business expertise. The MBA is currently the most popular professional degree programme in the world!
MBAs are often favoured over other business qualifications as they are recognised globally and as such are a branded programme within the world of academia. An MBA qualification is highly regarded by employers and in a survey by the Graduate Management Admission Council (GMAC), 76 per cent of international employers said they plan to hire MBA graduates in 2013.
A prerequisite for studying an MBA is that candidates must have work experience, usually a minimum of three years at a strategic level. This creates a rich learning environment as students come from a range of industries and bring their different experiences into the course. It is important for students to have practical experience as MBA programmes require students to think strategically and use work place evidence within assessments.
An MBA can be studied in a number of different formats. Many students opt to study part-time so they can continue to work. Studying online is a convenient and popular option for busy professionals. Advancements in technology mean the classroom experience can be effectively replicated online and this attracts a global cohort of students. Undertaking an MBA provides fantastic networking opportunities and connections within new industries.
MBA programmes have evolved in order to keep up with the demands of modern business; most courses will focus on international business and global management challenges. Traditional MBAs offer a broad grounding in a variety of business disciplines but there is also a range of specialist MBAs where students can major in an area of interest. For example, the University of Essex Online MBA enables students to specialise in management, marketing, finance or HR, which helps students to stand out in their chosen field.
Master of Science (MSc)
An MSc business qualification, such as the University of Essex Online MSc Business and Management, is designed for candidates who are at the beginning of their career, or for graduates who want a higher level qualification before entering the job market.
An MSc builds on the skills gained at undergraduate level. The modules are less vocational than the MBA and students are not required to have any former work experience. An MSc will look at the theory of management and use case studies to illustrate the business theory.
An MSc enables students to develop their knowledge in a specific area of business. The syllabus will focus on developing analytical and technical skills rather than leadership and managerial. Typically an MSc is taught over one year, but part-time and distance learning options are widely available.
Which degree should you choose?
It really depends on your circumstances. If you’re already an experienced business practitioner, then an MBA will consolidate your experience and can help you climb the career ladder.
If you’re just starting out or working in a non-business role, then an MSc can develop your business skills and help to open doors to new opportunities.
For detailed information on the course and application procedures, please contact us
by phone at 3482 8241 / 3482 8251; or
by email at email@example.com; or
click here to submit your enquiries online.
All contents and information, including but not limited to forms and navigation links, are proprietary to Success Institute of Higher Education and Professional Training Limited (Success Institute) and are subjected to copyright protection. Republication, redistribution or unauthorized use of any content or information contained in this website is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Success Institute.