MSc Big Data Analytics 大數據分析 理學碩士
Paves the way for you to pursue a career applying leading-edge software and analytics technology or conducting research in this vitally important field.
About the University
The University of Derby, with origins traced back to 1851, is accredited by British Royal Charter. The University consists of Derby campus and Buxton campus that opened by Prince Charles. In 1995, the University became a charity.
The University offers a wide range of undergraduate and post-graduate degrees. In addition to on-campus study, the University offers an extensive of e-Learning programmes. There are 20,000 students, of whom more than 1,300 overseas students from around 100 countries worldwide.
Accreditation, Recognition, Ranking
- University of Derby is a recognized British University.
- 中國教育部 – 認證資料
Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China – Accreditation Information
(請按此 Please click here)
- Ranked 81 out of 129 Universities in UK (Times Good University Guide 2018).
- Rated Gold Standard Award, Teaching Excellence Framework 2017, by the Department of Education, UK
- Ranked no. 7 in the East Midlands Region, UK (The Complete University Guide, 2010)
- Ranked 54 out of 109 Universities in UK (Times Higher Education, Annual National Student Experience Survey, 2009)
- Ranked 12 in the UK out of 151 Universities for employability,
ahead of Cambridge (20th) and Oxford (72nd). (HESA, 2013)
- Business courses at Derby are rated ‘Excellent’, with a rating of 22 out of 24 (UK Quality Assurance Agency)
- The Law School was rated in the top 5 (National Student Satisfaction Survey, 2009)
About the Award
Awarding Body: University of Derby, UK
- Graduates will be issued with the same University of Derby degree award certificate.
- There is no mention of online study on the University of Derby degree certificate.
You will be invited to attend a graduation ceremony at the University of Derby campus after fulfilled award requirements.
Big data is all around us. Professionals who can identify and obtain intelligence from big data are in demand like never before.
- Gain the technical expertise and industrial experience you need to progress your career or launch an enterprise in big data analytics
- Develop high-level skills in business intelligence, data analytics and database technology
- Harness the full power of SAS software, thanks to the University of Derby’s partnership with the global leader in business analytics services
- Address real-world industry-based problems and conduct a major research project on a theme of your choice
- Build broader skills in communication, teamwork and management to enhance your career prospects
The University of Derby is ranked 15th highest amongst all UK universities and 12th for English institutions with 96.9% of graduates in work or further study within six months of completing their degree: HESA 2016.
Every day 2.5 quintillion (2,500 followed by 15 zeros) bytes of data are created, and 90% of the data in the world today has been generated in the last two years. As a consequence, skills in identifying and obtaining intelligence from the precious commodity of big data are in demand across many sectors.
Great prospects from big data
The MSc in Big Data Analytics gives you an in-depth knowledge and critical understanding of the key issues and concepts in today’s data-driven business and science landscapes. You will develop powerful skills in the extraction, analysis and management of information from big data using a variety of scientific techniques and software tools.
This course offers the ideal introduction to knowledge discovery, analysis and assessment of data extracted from structured and unstructured big-data sets, as well as the visualisation and communication of results. You will process advanced knowledge and information, make deductions and form conclusions.
The practical skills you develop include computer modelling and the design and analysis of big data sets. You will also improve your abilities in broader areas such as communication, teamwork, management and the use of advanced quantitative methods.
Powerful industry partnerships
One of the course’s key strengths is that it is designed in conjunction with SAS, the global leaders in data analytics, whose data mining and business intelligence platform is widely used in academia and industry.
Real-world Understanding of Industry Issues
During your studies, you will address real-world industry-based problems. This intellectually demanding process requires not only specialist knowledge of big data analytics but also the ability to apply multidisciplinary concepts to today’s dynamic business and scientific areas.
Develop Critical Understanding of Natural Language Processing and Text Mining
Gain insight into industry relevant approaches to Natural Language Processing (NLP) and text mining developing the ability to extract and analyse various data-sets. Relevant software tools will be used to enable a critical appreciation of computational, ethical and governance issues in this field, using the Vs of Big Data as a critical framework.
Build a Skillset Around Your Career Aspirations
As vast amounts of data continue to be generated in line with our growing use of IT products and services, exciting new career opportunities are emerging for big data specialists. This is a flexible programme which enables you to choose from highly relevant optional modules to tailor your programme of study to meet your particular interests or professional needs.
On this programme you’ll develop a comprehensive skill set in computing and information technology, particularly in the areas of data analytics, business intelligence and information management, visualisation and assurance, as well as people analytics in HR, preparing yourself for a career in a rapidly growing industry more widely applicable and relevant than ever.
The online MSc Big Data Analytics programme comprises three progressive stages; Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert), Postgraduate Diploma (PG Dip) and Masters (MSc).
We will advise you of your study plan – the running order and availability of the modules – when you are invited to enrol. If we have insufficient numbers of students interested in an optional module, this may not be offered. In addition, where demand is high, some modules may be subject to a cap.
You will be required to achieve 60 credits to complete each award within the programme, totalling to 180 credits to achieve the Masters:
- Studying at Masters Level and Research Methods
Postgraduate Certificate / Postgraduate Diploma:
- Business Analytics
- Processing Big Data
- Analytics: Ethics, Trust and Governance
Two optional Modules selected from the following:
- Information Visualisation*
- Natural Language Processing*
- Statistical Techniques*
*Please note that your optional module choice will depend on the time of year you choose to start your studies
- Independent Scholarship
Programme Study Duration:
About 3 years of part time workload study, depending on your own study pace, study options chosen and module availability.
This course is assessed through 100% coursework with a range of methods such as essays, research reports, presentations, group work and practical reports.
The job market around Big Data is rapidly increasing and is trending to be in constant demand as our use of computer data is ever expanding.
After completing the Big Data Analytics Masters, you will be able to pursue a career in many areas of computing and information technology, particularly in the areas of
- data analytics
- business intelligence and information management
- visualisation and assurance
- people analytics in HR
Read more about Big Data 大數據
Academic requirement :
- A 2.2 or higher Bachelor’s degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) or a closely related discipline with significant mathematical content at an appropriate level, or an equivalent international degree.
- If you don’t have a degree or an accredited degree, the University may consider your application if supported by significant industrial experience. Please include evidence of all experience you have in your application. Whilst the University guidelines on prior learning will be followed, RPL will only be recommended where applicants can present a portfolio of professional work, deemed to be of an appropriate level.
English language proficiency requirement:
- IELTS 6.0 or equivalent, if English is not your first language you will need an English language qualification.
Open for application now
Click here to download
Programme information is correct at time of publish. The University reserves the right to make variations to the programme schedules, contents, information and fees without notice.
It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead.
For detailed information on the course and application procedures, please contact us
by phone at 3482 8241 / 3482 8251; or
by email at email@example.com; or
click here to submit your enquiries online.
All contents and information, including but not limited to forms and navigation links, are proprietary to Success Institute of Higher Education and Professional Training Limited (Success Institute) and are subjected to copyright protection. Republication, redistribution or unauthorized use of any content or information contained in this website is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Success Institute.